- Any dog that, when unprovoked, inflicts bites on or attacks a human being or another animal either on public or private property, or in a vicious or terrorizing manner, approaches any person in an apparent attitude of attack upon the streets, sidewalks, or public grounds or places of this town
- Any dog with a known propensity, tendency, or disposition to attack unprovoked, to cause injury or to otherwise endanger the safety of human beings or domestic animals
- Any dog which attacks a human being or domestic animal without provocation
- Any dog owned or harbored primarily or in part for the purpose of dogfighting or any dog trained for dogfighting
- Any pit bull terrier dog which, for purposes of this chapter, shall be defined as the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the Bull Terrier, or any other dog of mixed breed which contains as an element of its breeding any of the aforementioned breeds of dogs and which is, due to its size, color or conformity, identifiable by a veterinarian licensed to practice veterinary medicine by the state being partially of any of the aforementioned breeds of dog.
Any dog that is ruled VICIOUS due to a BITING incident
MUST BE MUZZLED in public.
- The owner of a vicious dog is required to have a liability policy in the amount of $200,000 to cover any potential damage or injury caused by the dog.
- Any dog defined as a vicious dog shall be either: 1) contained behind a fence or structure at least six feet in height, regardless of the size of the animal; 2) on a tether which is at least 15 feet long with a diameter of at least 30 feet; or 3) on a secure dog run.
- "Beware of Dog" signs must be posted on ALL sides of the fenced in area or yard.
- Dogs must be on a secure leash whenever they are out in public.
- Annual inoculations for Rabies are required and must be administered by a State-licensed veterinarian.
- The dogs must be registered with the City of Leesville within 15 days of the finding of viciousness.
Where to Go to Register your Vicious Dog:
Vicious animals can be registered with the Animal Control Officer at Leesville City Hall.
Documents you will need:
- Vicious Dog Registration Form
- Proof of Liability Insurance in the amount of $200,000
- Separate pictures of the head and body of each dog being registered
- Vaccination record by a State licensed veterinarian for each dog